Thursday, June 17, 2010

Accident

I'm interrupting my posts on the NYC trip to bring you breaking news on current events here in the village of Hoosick Falls. On Wednesday evening, June 16, I was driving to the grocery store and was distracted by what appeared to be a child running into the street in front of an oncoming car. I turned to look at the same time the vehicle in front of me hit the brakes. By the time I had turned forward and slammed on my brakes it was too late, and I rear-ended her. Both my airbags went off, my arms instinctively went up, leaving me feeling fine except for airbag burns, scratches, and bruises all over my left arm. The other lady was fine, and her car was dented, but not too bad. My car had to be towed. POI appeared to be the radiator, though the front in general was pretty banged up.
Yesterday I started hurting much worse. What had started as a dull headache quickly escalated to not having any range of motion in my neck. There was a lump at the base of my neck I was worried about, since the whole area around it by the spine was extremely swollen by that point, and barely touching it was excruciating. Since I was already down near the hospital (my dad had taken me down to pick up a rental car), he agreed it was best to get it checked out, so I went in to the ER. They did x-rays and the initial diagnosis is that it's moderate to severe whiplash, but to watch carefully for signs of anything worse. He thinks I should see steady improvement over the next few days, but if not I have to go in for an MRI early next week. For now, he put me back on Ibuprofen to bring the swelling down. Painful, but as long as it goes away, manageable so far. It could have been a lot worse, so I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment