Thursday, April 21, 2011

Back in Alaska

Been back in Kodiak for a month, and it has been craziness most of that time. I have completed my training at work, and am working the day shift for now. There was a stretch that was very difficult and emotionally draining, when a good friend's sister died. I found out quickly that it's a lot harder to do my job when it becomes personal. It was tough, but I was glad I could be there for the family.
Some weeks, several of us get together and play games, visit, and have dinner on Fridays. Always something to look forward to, and I do miss it when I don't make it over there.





















We've had over a week of fantastic, warm, sunny weather, and each day after work I've made a point to get out and do things in the sun. Thankfully it's still light till around 10 or later, so there is plenty of time to enjoy the evenings.




















While my friend Paula and her husband Michea were in town, I had a chance to go out kayaking for the first time with them and another couple. I absolutely loved it! I've always loved the ocean, and it's incredible to see it from the totally different perspective of a kayak.To float along on the same level as seals, sea lions, and birds, with no motor so you can hear the sea lions barking at you, the birds chirping constantly, the sound of your kayaks gliding through the water, and the waves lapping at the shore...it's wonderful!
I've bbq'd with friends a couple different nights, and headed to the beaches other times. One day I headed out the road system, and on my way back when it was dark, stopped to look at the stars. Amazing!
There were two USCG cutters in town the past week. One is on tour from CA, and the other is a Russian crew. It's kind of weird to see Russians swarming downtown Kodiak as I drive through. Reminds me of when the cruise ships are here in the summertime.
Today is my day off, so it shouldn't surprise me that it decided to pick today to start snowing/raining. Still, I'm not complaining, because we HAVE had a lot of really good weather, much more so than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment