Thursday, July 16, 2009
A few changes at the coffee shop
I was about to head home from my trip to the Big Apple when I found out that we had an employee quit (for a better job) and two more were hired (kind of spur of the moment, I think). So when I returned, I jumped right into training the two new gals. The part of my job I like the least is training. Nothing against any of the trainees, it's just hard to train someone to do something when even I am not sure what I do to make it work just so. Such is the case with the espresso shot, and steaming the milk. Two things that seem easy until you try them. As each employee then finds out, there is a lot more to this job then handing out regular coffee, with cream and sugar. So many different aspects can make a shot of espresso bitter, too strong, too weak, and even give it an aftertaste. Only doing it 'just so' will make it work. So hours upon hours go into practicing it. My dad has been gone since the beginning of July, only returning last night, so in addition to my normal hours, I've been filling in for him. We are down to one remaining employee who knows the routine, and even she is heading to college soon. So I also had to be there during the new employees' shifts, to continue training. I'm about ready to be done with the whole 7 days/wk 10-15 hrs/day, and all the stress that goes with it. :) The 'new' gals are doing well, and one is already doing some shifts on her own, calling me with questions. I do believe things are going to be pretty much back to 'normal' soon. Or at least I hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment