Friday, October 9, 2009

Fall in NY is a beautiful time! And oh, the joys of kids!

Hello, friends! Oh, I love the fall, with the gorgeous colors, the leaves on the ground to be raked up and jumped into, and the cool evenings while still keeping the warmth through the days. Wait...the weather part isn't exactly the way it's been - sort of cold, colder and coldest is more like it! I know it will get colder, and yes, there are still a few days where a light jacket is enough, but for the most part, it is chilly. We've had a few rainy days, but tomorrow is supposed to be the beginning of a sunny stretch, and I am excited! Particularly because it is Gabe's birthday, and we are having some of his friends over for a small party. I made chocolate cupcakes for him to take to school today, and apparently they were a hit, since he didn't bring any back home. :)
I may be heading to the Adirondaks with a friend some day soon to see the colors up there (I can only imagine! They are supposed to be way better than around here even!). I'll be taking a lot of pictures I'm sure.
God has been blessing my SS class, as we started the year with 5 kids, and now we have 3-4 kids from the community that have started coming as well! Their parents are telling me they talk about our lessons at home through the week, so I know they are reall getting what we talk about.
I am still looking for work, but times are tough, and I haven't found anything so far. Most places won't even give out applications anymore since so many people are out of work and asking for them. But guess what?! The gas prices are going down a bit, and for us, every bit counts! It's now at $2.42/gal. I'm curious what the rest of the country is at. :)
I am currently helping take care of a very precocious 3yr old, Isabeau, who is adorable and drives me insane! Don't get me wrong, I love her, but she doesn't stop talking! However, she is very sensitive to when people are having a bad day, and does try to help. For instance, this afternoon I had a headache, my shoulder was sore from the injections I got this morning, and my leg is throbbing now whenever I go up stairs, drive, etc. I flopped down on the couch after a couple hours, and she was calling her mom on her play phone. I heard her close the conversation with "I have to go mom, Miss Lisa's head is hurting and I have to go give her a hug to help fix it, and then I'm going to read her a book." She proceeded to climb up on the couch beside me, give me a hug, and then sit by my head and 'read' me a story. I was touched by her concern, and it makes all the time we've spent with her so worthwhile.
Yesterday her brother Gabe (11) was working on cleaning his room, and I was keeping him on task pretty regularly, but I had received some mail that made things look a little bleak, and though I was hiding it pretty well I thought, he came out and asked if I would let him give me a hug. After the hug as he went back to cleaning his room, I was in tears because of the compassion of an 11yr old boy. They're both good kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment