Monday, May 17, 2010

"Fire! Fire! Fire!" And Other Random Occurances

I was in the park on Friday doing Census paperwork when my phone rang. It was one of my enumerators. She sounded slightly panicked, telling me that she was "in the middle of nowhere" at a house where an alarm was going off and an automated voice saying "Fire! Fire! Fire" but she couldn't see any fire or smoke, and what should she do? I called a fire fighter I knew and he said to call 911. Because we reported it, I had to go out there, since I was her crew leader. 911 sent Johnsonville FD, so two engines, the chief, and a bunch of their guys showed up. Funny thing was, by the time they got there, the alarm had shut itself off. They were as confused as we were, but checked the house anyway. No fire, no people, so no one knows why the alarm went off. Since we had to wait until the NY Trooper arrived, I chatted with the firemen to pass the time. The chief offered to help out however he could, and said we could use their fire department parking lot to meet at if we wanted. After an hour and a half out there, I headed back to town, only to get a call from another enumerator asking what to do, because she had just been bitten by a dog. So I headed back out to the country to meet her, take stock of the situation, and get her to the hospital for treatment. The dog punctured several points behind her knee, and bruised the area pretty good. She can now bend her leg again slightly, and is back to work. Poor gal!
I don't think the office knows what to make of my crew, with these two incidents and the one the previous week with automatic weapon fire. Apparently no one else has had any difficulties. Gotta love it! Can't wait to see what comes next!

1 comment: