Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Surgery, friends, and other details in life

I've found how difficult it is to type one handed, so this will be short as well. Lots has been happening in my life. I now have an apartment, am still looking for a job, and am scheduled for surgery next week. NOT looking forward to that, though I'm hoping in the long run it will diminish the pain, at least some. Yep, the past three weeks have been a series of tests EMG, MRI, x-rays, MR-Arthrogram, and the list goes on. I've been instructed to keep my arm as immobilized as possible, so I've been getting used to a sling. The surgery is for my right shoulder, which I damaged when I fell down some stairs a couple months ago. I tried to ignore the pain, but now that the results are back, I realize I shouldn't have. I managed to completely tear my biceps tendon from the core of my shoulder where it attaches, tearing the cartilage as well. As the report read, "there may be a fiber or two still attached at some point, but it doesn't look like it. So at 12:30pm, I have to go in for arthroscopic surgery, with a possibility of more indepth depending on what they find. I'm praying it won't be as bad as it looked. :)
So I'm looking at several weeks - at least - of doing pretty much absolutely nothing. Ugh. Boring!
But God is amazing, and my friends have been doing their best to keep my mind off things. Thanks to those of you who have called, taken me out for dinner, and had me over for movies and chatting to get me out of the house. Probably my favorite night of the week is Monday, because I go over and we have '24 night' with Dallas and Nichole.
I've been helping out the best I can with Olympians, as well, which is a kids program at our church. Since the sling, it's been harder, but I can still do some. My Sunday school class is going well. My group of little ones has had 5-9 kids consistently. We had fun this week with a fan blowing 'water' as the storm that Jesus calmed, as the kids sailed the paper boats they made in the streamer waves.
We just started a Bible study at church called HaYesod, which is a video series about the Jewish history, and what many of the words in the Bible meant to the Jews back then, as well as how it relates to us now. It's a great study, and it has helped me to understand a lot better why things were said the way they were, and how important they were and are.
I'm also still babysitting Isabeau regularly, though I'm not sure how that will continue in the weeks following surgery. Yesterday I had an unexpected call for me to pick her up at school, which completely changed my day, since she had an extremely high temp. So I had her at my apartment for the whole day. My landlord was amazing, though. He carried her to and from my car, and even followed us to the doctor to take her in so I wouldn't have to carry her. He has 2 girls, and since he works downstairs, he kept checking on her, doting on her, and helping out regularly. He even brought a sippee cup, childrens motrin, and a thermometer down (they live upstairs) for her. What a blessing. She started bouncing back about the time her mom came to get her at 6ish. So it was a long day.
Another friend decided he wanted to make me a really good 'last meal' as he called it, so later in the evening, I went over for a delicious dinner of cajun catfish, beans w/slivered almonds, and garlic mashed potatoes. Mmm.
And now it's time for the big event. I'll be glad when it's over.

1 comment:

  1. Will be praying for you throughout the day! I hope this surgery really makes you feel so much better!

    ReplyDelete