Friday, May 21, 2010

ALASKA!!!!!

A couple days ago I received a phone call from a guy in Homer, AK, asking if I could move up there and work for him this summer. I had to turn it down because I am in the middle of the Census job, and he wanted me there by the first of June! I did talk to my supervisor, though, and she told me she thought they could find someone to cover as Crew Leader for me, so I am planning on calling him back today and seeing if he would still want me if I came by the middle of June. He owns a coffee shop up there, and I would absolutely love it! Imagine, being in Alaska during the warmer months, having a job that pays pretty well, and having plenty of time to enjoy fishing, boating, and all the other outdoor stuff available there! I do hope it works out, but it is definitely short notice.
No more incidents this week with work, which is a relief. I'm slowly finding my way around the area, getting to know more roads, as I drive them so much. :)
This week I've actually had a chance to get to know a few people in the area, at the Johnsonville FD, and have spent a couple evenings chatting and reminiscing with them. Stories of my grandfather, and life in general. It's amazing how NOT thinking about work can ease the stress so much. Time slips away so quickly.
So now I'm off to enjoy the sunshine. I have a book, plenty of water, and a camping chair, so all I need to find is a place to settle in. Yesterday another heat wave began, with temps in the upper 70's to mid 80's all this week. Ahhh...much better than rain!

2 comments: