Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Journey to Alaska - 8

We had asked around, and people were telling us it would take about 12 hrs of driving to get from Haines Junction to Glennallen, so I wasn't sure I'd make it the whole way in one day. The three of us met up for breakfast somewhat early, Alaska time. Yep, when we went through Canada it switched time zones back again, but we decided that we would stay on Alaska time ourselves since it was only one night. One of the pros for that was that when we turned in at almost 3am Canada time, it was really only 2 for us. :-) Breakfast was great, and we were able to get on the road by about 9:30am. Because of the 'experience' Josh gave us the day before, Thom took the lead. It was a great day for a drive, and we made fairly good time, stopping a few times for photo ops. The customs officer let us right thru, and we continued on our way, arriving in Tok at about 2:30pm. That was where we were splitting up, so we took a break and had lunch at Fast Eddy's. After filling up with gas, we said our goodbye's, and Josh headed north while Thom and I headed south. Thom made it all the way to Palmer, I stopped in Copper Center, and Josh finished his trip to Fairbanks.
I arrived at Copper Center Lodge at 6:30 or so, where a friend had booked me a room for the night. We had dinner and hung out for awhile before I turned in for the night. Since today is a shorter day of driving, I slept in, and now that it's light out, am heading out. More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment