It was a beautiful drive from Glennallen to Anchorage. So beautiful, in fact, that it took me a lot longer than planned, since I stopped so often to take pictures. But I need to back up a little. When I started my car that morning, I locked it with my extra little gadget, and went in to stay warm while my car warmed up.
Unfortunately, when I went back out later to leave, the gadget wouldn't unlock the doors. At first we thought the battery had died, since it HAD locked it a little while before. But after tracking down the mechanic for the lodge, and the new battery he put in didn't work either, they had to find a slim jim and break in. All in all, my 10am departure time turned into 11:30 or so. Not that it mattered that much, but it made the day a bit more interesting.
As I was saying, the scenery was amazing, breathtaking, and totally reminded me of God's glory and majesty. I had a wonderful drive listening to some sermons on cd that Josh had given me, as well as some praise and worship cds I had. When I was arriving in Anchorage, I realized my GPS wasn't working. My directional skills leave a lot to be desired, so rather than trying to brave the city, I called up my boss from my summer job in Fairbanks, and she invited me down to stay the night at their b&b in Indian. In the morning we chatted over breakfast, and then I headed out to do a little shopping on the outskirts of Anchorage before heading back down to Homer. The drive down was just as gorgeous as my drive the day before. Amazing! I saw a couple moose when I got down closer to Anchor Point, but other than that, I really didn't see a whole lot of wildlife this trip. I got to the Early's house about dinner time, and my driving portion of the trip was completed!
That night and all the next day was spent hanging out with Matt, Tracy, and their two girls. In the afternoon I took 2 of the high school gals out for smoothies and hot chocolate. Nice and relaxing, and good to catch up.
While the ferry didn't actually leave til 9:45, I had to be at the ferry terminal by 8am on Dec 11, so it was an early morning. It was a long, boring ride to Kodiak, with not a whole lot to see. Probably my least favorite part of the whole trip. A little rougher weather, but not bad at all. On the plus side, we made good time, and the 10 hr trip ended up taking only 9, bringing me into Kodiak at 6:30pm. When I called to let people know I'd made it, the officer I talked to suggested I come say hi at the station, so my first couple hours in Kodiak were spent chatting with a couple of the officers at KPD. I was blessed to have some friends invite me to stay with them that night, so I wouldn't have to unload the car in the dark.
Sunday morning we headed out to church, and then spent the afternoon unloading my car and cleaning the apartment. It's good to be back home! My journey is completed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment