Ok, so it's been way too long since I've had a chance to update this. On Jan 28 I had surgery on my shoulder. They had to go in and repair the bicep tendon and all the labrum (the cartilage) in the right side. Apparently when I fell down the stairs I tore the cartilage very badly, and it had been pushed back up over itself, so there was no protection at all for the bone, tendons, etc. Needless to say, the entire shoulder was extremely enflamed, and the ball and socket had been rubbing on itself for 3 months, making it worse all the time. So they put in an anchor, sewed it up, and now supposedly it will feel better in the long run. The first week was torture, and I couldn't do anything on my own - lift, sit down, stand up, make meals, or anything else. If I had known ahead, I don't think I would have gone through with the surgery. On monday, the PA took the sutures out, and immediately the pain lessened. Not much, but at least enough so I could stand up, do stairs, and sit down by myself with somewhat less pain. The PA thought that the sutures had become too tight with all the swelling, and that is probably why I'd had more pain than normal.
I'm ever so grateful to all the folks who have helped me out since the surgery. The girls who have come over to stay with me, all the people who have gone grocery shopping, made meals, helped me clean, and everything else. There is no way to say how much it means to me. I hadn't realized exactly how much an arm, or lack of, affects you until all this happened.
Another blessing is the apartment I'm in. God totally took care of things, because I would not have been able to stay in the first apartment I was planning on moving into. Only God knew and could work out the details of getting me out of that lease and into one where I'm so well cared for. My neighbor is a friend of mine, and he and my landlord check in at least daily to make sure I'm ok. They and many others have loaned me books and movies to make my time somewhat more bearable. Wow, God is so good.
I had a follow up with my pain management doctor in Rutland (the original shoulder injury) yesterday, and he also is encouraging. He believes that some of the cartilage may have been torn in the car accident, but because we hadn't checked that before, we hadn't realized it. If that is the case, the surgery may have worked towards fixing the ongoing pain from 2 yrs ago. It may also explain why that pain had also been getting worse, rather than better over the time we've been working treating it. I pray that's the case.
My family has been doing so much for me this past couple weeks as well. Zachary and JJoy love coming to spend the night, and mom drops in regularly to putter around doing whatever is needed. I've had a couple setbacks, including a major mental/emotional breakdown the other day, but overall, I can't complain.
The weather has been freezing, so I guess it was a good time to be stuck inside. We've had a few nice days though, and I've been able to get out a little more this past week. I won't be able to drive for at least a few more weeks, so I'm glad to be in town, where I can walk to the bank, post office, etc. It helps to get outside some.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment