Friday, March 26, 2010

Census Training - My Soapbox of the Day

You never know when you'll learn something new! For instance, the last 3 days of Census training have been a lesson in how inefficient the government can be and how it really IS possible to learn nothing in almost 25 hrs of trying your level best to learn SOMETHING from a crew leader chosen by our amazing federal government! And did I mention that these past days supposedly 'equipped us' to count how many people are in our county? Seriously, if everyone doing our job had the training we did, I feel sorry for each of you. I guarantee mistakes WILL be made. So much for the budget being accurately distributed! There's NO way it'll be right. On top of that, I have only so much confidence in several of my fellow census takers. Some of the questions people were puzzling over were so simple I wanted to tell them if they couldn't figure it out, they were in the wrong job! Come on Americans, a little common sense would go a long ways!
I did have several classmates I enjoyed talking with. One was a retired US Marshal who also spent several years doing witness protection. Talk about some good stories. One gal had a great sense of humor and kept joking and inserting comments under her breath making me and the US Marshal laugh. The other guy I was sitting next to is a retired Shriner. I was unaware until now that there is really an organization whose only purpose is to go out and party every weekend of the year. This weekend they are going to NYC, but other weekends it could be anywhere in the country. (Hmmm...I'd guess being rich is a requirement.) He also had a good sense of humor, and between the four of us we made enough comments to get us through the day in a pretty good frame of mind. Of course, the coffee and chocolate espresso beans did their fair share as well. Ah...caffeine!
So next week the work begins. I am a Group Quarters Enumerator, which means I'll be going to hospitals, dorms, jails, and wherever else groups of people are living. It'll be interesting, and I'm actually looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment