I have gotten so far behind in this! Since I arrived in Kodiak on Monday, July 26, I've done so much and seen so much I can't begin to tell it all. I stayed the first week with the Bushells, and Chris and I did a lot of driving around downtown, Monashka Bay, and Bell's Flats. We've frequented a couple of the local coffee shops, and Fly By is my favorite at this point. There are still a few I haven't tried.
Tuesday we went by the Kodiak Police Dept (KPD), but the officers I knew weren't there. However, Sgt Maloney (Tom) called me later that evening and offered to give me a tour of the new PD the next day. In the 8 days I've been here, I've ended up spending a good portion each of 4 or 5 days there, talking with various officers who remembered me, sharing memories, hearing some of the things that have changed, and getting to know the 'new' officers (new since we left many years ago). One evening when Tom was 'finished' with work, he took me out to Bells Flats with him, and we spent some time walking through his house (it used to be ours), and talking about the way it used to be. On our way out there, he had to serve a search warrant on a vehicle, so we stopped by the jail to wait for the other officer, who was in the process of an arrest. We waited while the arrest was completed, and I had a chance to see the old PD again - empty now, except for the jail. HUGE difference! The new one is much better suited to their needs. When the other officer was finished, and we had arrived at the place the van was, I was handed some gloves and told to start looking for a gun and/or drugs. We found some interesting things in there, but not what we were looking for. After driving around showing me some more of Bells Flats, seeing the house, and chatting, Tom took me back into town. We had dinner at an old mexican restaurant - really good burritos! On Saturday Chris and I headed over to the Jones', and then she dropped me off at Bohac'. Because of the weather, Milt was still stranded in Anchorage, and didn't get back till Sunday (supposed to come in on Thursday, but that's Kodiak for you!). Beverly and I had a great visit though. Seeing James and Timothy now was neat, cause I had babysat them, and James in particular, a lot when they were very born.
On Sunday I managed to make it to 3 different churches, seeing people I knew at each. I have been so blessed by people here who have welcomed me back with open arms! I went from no transportation to 2 vehicles in two days - Bohac' offered me use of their car this week, and the next day, Tom told me to take his truck so I could get out the road system; Debbie invited me to stay with her this week; the guys at KPD have told me to just call if I need anything at all, and are all willing to be references for job applications I fill out here; Bushells have been amazing, doing all sorts of things with me and taking me all over the place; Milt gave me a heads up for a job opening at the PD that isn't even posted yet (all the officers I've seen so far are pushing me to apply, and they all think I have a really good chance, but we'll see); Beverly called with a possible place to stay until I get set up with a good job; and the list goes on and on!
I had lunch with some dear friends today, and tomorrow the Beavers are inviting anyone who knows me over for a little get together.
Yesterday, Tom picked me up and took me with him out fishing, sightseeing, and then for a bbq at his cabin across the bay for the day. A guy he knew had two relatives in town and wanted to go out, so they met us at the dock and the 5 of us spent a wonderful day out on the water. I caught a sole, and a couple of the others caught small halibut (about the same size as my sole - tiny!) which we cooked on the bbq at his cabin for lunch. We saw a couple whales, and I managed to get a good video of one pretty close to us. A bunch of good shots of some sea otters as well. The water was a little rough coming back, which slowed us down, though not as much as the flat tire on Tom's truck when we got back to Antone Larson! Even his spare was a little flat, but it got us home. All in all, a very good day.
I had mentioned a ride along to Tom, and he pushed the process along so I could get at least one before I left. The Lt found me to tell me he'd signed off on it that afternoon. I went in tonight for several hrs, riding first with Mike (the K-9 officer), and then with Bill (Sgt). I lost my voice this morning, so of course they ALL gave me a hard time about that. Only a couple minor calls, but most of the time was spent driving around talking, remembering how it was vs how it is now, and sitting in the office telling stories of pranks pulled on various officers. When the midnight crew arrived, they joined in, and I found out Cary is going to be leaving Kodiak on the same ferry I am. Small town. :) They told me I could come in Thur and/or Fri and go out again if I'd like, so I'm hoping it works out.
Another full day again tomorrow, so it's time for bed. Good night all!
P.S. Pictures will be coming - soon I hope!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment