Monday, November 22, 2010

Getting Ready for Alaska

The time has finally arrived to begin the long journey to Alaska. For those of you who are just beginning to follow my blog, I took a 2 month vacation to Alaska this summer, and while I was there decided I missed it more than I had thought. It was the first time I'd been back to Kodiak, my hometown, since our family had left almost 12 years ago. I knew as soon as I set foot on The Rock that I wanted to go back. While I was there, I was blessed with several job offers, as well as a variety of places to stay if I came back. I decided to go for it, and arrived back in NY in September excited about the possibilities. I began making plans to move, but had an unexpected delay when I found I needed another surgery on my shoulder. My ortho surgeon was able to get me in on Oct 14, in hopes that I'd be able to leave early November. A minor complication arose when he doubled my recuperation period because my shoulder is 'too loose', and therefore needs much more time without movement than normal for that surgery. Still, I continued to make plans, and at my follow-up on Nov 18 he ok'd me for the drive. I'm still in a sling most of the time, and unable to do anything with that arm, but I'm thankful I'm moving forward! Which leads me to the beginning of the trip...
Last Wed, I had some help from family and friends loading my car, and it is FULLY loaded! I then had the car serviced, and it was declared ready for the long haul. Friday, I finished up all the loose ends, particularly the most important one of watching the Youngmann girls play their parts in the Hoosick Falls School play (they did a great job!), and then crashed at my parents' house for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment