Monday, November 22, 2010

Journey To Alaska - 1

My journey began on Sat morning. It was a beautiful day for a drive, and as I worked my way thru NY into OH, I made good time. Mapquest had come up with just under 9 hrs, but I somehow managed to make it in about 7 1/2. Not sure how, but I was sticking pretty close to the speed limit so I'm pretty sure it was because I drove straight thru, stopping only once for gas. My mom's cousin had dinner for me when I got there, and we spent the evening chatting.

Sunday I was able to get an earlier start, and was on the road by 8:30. The day was uneventful, and pretty boring. I drove through IN, IL, and into WI. Chicago traffic was AWFUL, and slowed me down some. It would have been interesting to see the city, but I was not at all confident of my ability to get BACK on I-90 if I left it. Same thing with Toledo, though I did see Chrysler/Toyota Manufacturing as I flew by. It rained most of the afternoon. Sparta was the town I had chosen randomly to stop in for the night, and THAT part didn't go so well. The hotel had given me wrong directions, so it took almost an hour of driving before I found it. By that time the town had pretty much shut down for the night. I managed to find one restaurant that was still open though.

This morning was by far the most difficult so far. As soon as I left Wisconsin, the sleet, hail, and wind started. Throughout the morning as I drove through Minnesota, I was dealing with pea soup fog and icy roads as well. Thankfully, by South Dakota the roads cleared and it was down to just snow and wind. Oh yes, and 20 degree weather the whole day. Brrr! I stopped for dinner in Chamberlain, SD. But now it's time to get back on the road. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment