Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Journey to Alaska - 2

I woke up to a gorgeous, sunny -6 degree day, with windchill a LOT colder than that. Kadoka is right before the Badlands, so of course I made a slight detour to get a picture or two as I went by. I then stopped at Wall Drug, which is a famous drugstore that is huge, and a big tourist trap. After that my phone's GPS took me away from I-90 for awhile, but neglected to inform me that I would be on a road where there was nothing but the fields of Wyoming and Montana for over 100miles! It was a beautiful, scenic drive, and I had a wonderful time singing worship songs, and braving the elements every once in awhile for a photo op. The entire day the warmest weather I found was 0 degrees with a high wind, blowing snow EVERYWHERE! I almost ran out of gas during that portion of the drive, since I had thought more than 1/2 a tank would be enough to get me to the next town. But I made it, and then I was back on the more familiar I-90.

The sun abruptly changed to high winds, snow, and ice when I passed Billings, MT. An arctic front had arrived, and it was NOT fun. Traffic on I-90 slowed to 15-35mph for several hours, and even so, I saw many cars in the ditch, 3 different semi's rolled, and a sheriff cruiser spun twice and ended up on the other side of the median. I definitely felt God's hand of protection around my car, as I was almost hit several times when vehicles slid accross into my lane, and made it over a pass that was deemed 'virtually impossible to make it through' today. A high stress day, but God is good, and I survived. :-)

Here in one piece, and now that I've had a nice visit with the friends I'm staying with, it's time to turn in. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment