Wow! I arrived in Fairbanks right in the middle of the fair, so I got a taste of the craziness that surrounds this time of year for my friends, the Houses. They are salesmen, both of Rainbow vacuums as well as very good quality cookware. Shortly after I arrived, the owner of another local business called and asked if I was still interested in working for her during my visit. She wanted me to start the next day, so after spending the rest of Wed and much of Thur at the Rainbow booth, I began working for her Fri morning. There is a place called Pioneer Park (it used to be Alaska Land) where they have a cabin and sell their products. So I am now an employee of Caribou Grill, selling prepackaged meats and honey mustard, as well as grilling up reindeer, caribou, buffalo and venison sausages and steaks for tourists in need of a good meal. All of the products are produced in Alaska, made from wild game here. I enjoy it, though on rainy days it is really slow. Back to last week, though. Between Fri and Sat, she had me running their booth at the fair for over 20 hrs. I'm working pretty much every day, setting my own hours, and have been told I can have as many hours as I'd like. She is very happy with my work, and I'll be working there until they close on Labor Day weekend. Nice to have a bit of income again. :)
On Sunday, I attended Friends Church, and had a chance to see good friends who have just moved to the area from WA. After that service, we attended the House's church, and I really enjoyed worshiping with those folks. It's a small church, but great people, from what I saw.
Monday, Jon, Marla and Chris took the day off from work and we headed out to go blueberry picking. Well, that was the idea, though half the reason was to get out of town and go for a drive. And drive we did, south to Delta Junction (we toured Rika's Roadhouse there), and on down to have dinner in Paxson (3hrs south of Fairbanks) before heading back. We saw a moose, beautiful scenery, the Alaska Pipeline, and even drove through a dust storm in Delta that rivaled the pea soup fog in Kodiak. Here are a few pics from our drive. Enjoy!
The weather has been nice, most days. We even had 2 days that hit 91 degrees, which is a record high for here! It was too hot for me, but gorgeous! Better than the rain we've had the last couple days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ohh, look it's lots of beautiful scenery, my pretty friend and a moose! I like these photos.... :) I miss you dear Lisa!
ReplyDeleteI miss you too, sweetie! I'll be back in a week, though!
ReplyDelete